View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Not all hitches with the sliding bar will wear a flat spot. The Hijacker Hitch I have is 6 years old and has no signs of wear on the flatbar which is 3/4" of an inch thick.
There is a U shaped bracket in front of the pin that is adustable so you have very little play on your king pin if this hitch is set up right.

With the Hijacker set up, you see this heavy bar slide behind your pin and capture it.
There is no need for the bed saver device which was only invented because there are so many crappy locking cam hitches out there that do not lock every time.

If you have to do a little test pull to see if your hitch has locked the pin than you need the bedsaver or you risk doing thousands of dollars damage to your truck.

I will stick with my HiJacker and mine is just the basic SL16 which does not have the side to side swivel. HiJacker makes a side swivel but I am worried what that does to your handling in the wind. I have had no real problems with a standard hitch for the last 20 years and if you
have to back one rear wheel of your truck on a board once in a while, that is no big deal to me.

I know all commercial hitches are a locking cam and mechanically this design captures the pin better and gives a larger wear surface but I feel the fact that you can see the pin locked ahead of the sliding flat bar makes the Hijacker safer and more user friendly.

The guy that invented the bedsaver does like the locking cam design better, It has made many RVers feel they need his invention to feel safe.
On edit, don't get me wrong, there are many excellent locking jaw hitches out there , but a good one should let you see that you have captured the pin and IMO if you have to do a little test pull to know for sure.........I would never own a hitch like that.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote