View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Terrible thing almost happened

Last week I took my Montana in to have a new set of Saulin tires installed.

Still had the original Marathons on. Mfg. date in 2010, and about 6000-7000 miles total. I was always monitoring tire air pressure. Never exceeded 65 mph. Did everything right. To be fair, I did have some suspension problems.

First tire off, the belt had completely separated and on one section between the tread lugs there were cracks right down to the polyester cords. I wasn't able to hang around the shop to see the other tires as they were taken off.

I can't believe the tire was still in one piece, and I really doubt that it would have survived even a five mile run. Thought about taking pictures to late, and the old tires were gone.

The shop had a hard time finding 110 psi valve stems that would fit the rims. They also struggled a bit getting the new tires on the rims. The shop was unable to get my rims to fit properly on their balancing machine. They offered me balancing beads, but I chose not to use them. So far I am quite happy with the new Saulins. Fuel mileage seems to have improved about 10% or more so far. Trailer felt good towing, but weather and traffic conditions were perfect, so it's hard to say if there was any change.

Had to buy a new compressor for the trailer, as my other one would only do 90 psi on a good day.

Thanks to everyone here for all the good reviews and advice over the years. Thanks especially to DQDick for his help with my warranty issues with Keystone a couple years ago.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote