View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Let me just add a last few notes to this topic, for those who are interested:

* We were thrown out of the truck lot in Lufkin. A long story there. Let me just say we ran into a Good Samaritan and a bad Samaritan in Lufkin.

* For those of you who may ever have to evacuate from a populated area during hurricane season - Obtain and fill several containers of gasoline and/or diesel at the beginning of hurricane season and have on hand in preparation. Having just 10 more gallons of gas would have made all the difference in the world during the evacuation. This goes along with keeping your vehicles tanks full when a storm is "in the Gulf" or threatening the Atlantic Coast, wherever you may live. When we got to Dallas there were NO GASOLINE CONTAINERS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE. Fortunately, we borrowed some from my brother-in-law to back up the towing vehicle and keep the generator fueled for power for our return trip to the disaster area.

* Take along some real staples for food along the way - the evacuation may (and did) take much longer than you think. I got very tired of snack food.

* We had a dog (a Weimaraner) along for the ride. He was my daughter's boyfriend's pet. I think he alone among the entire group, enjoyed the experience! New places, new smells, and people around him in a trailer all the time!
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote