View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #14
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The chains that I have seen, I fail to see how they could possibly help in braking of ANY vehicle. Many label call them "traction chains" which to me indicates they to aid in movement not stopping. That said, I have had two experiences with short distance towing on hilly terrain in heavy unplowed snow (about 1/2 mile). Once with our old lighter 5ver and the 1/2 ton truck, the other with Hannah and Vinnie. Both times I used the same procedure going down hill. Truck in 4LO and use the trailer brakes to stop the whole rig. With the small truck, it was nothing more than a controlled slide. The trailer still pushed me down the hill, but produced enough drag to not pass me. With the larger rig in the same situation in the same place, the wheels bit on the trailer enough for a controlled decent. I can only assume the weight difference of the trailer (double) and the higher tire pressures (more than double) helped the tires bite through the snow better. In neither case did I want to tow, but worse weather was moving in, threatening that I would have to leave the trailers through the winter months.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote