View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #18
Hroddv8

M.O.C. #17510
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Hroddv8,
I had made the mistake of relying on specs. I figured I was close, perhaps a few hundred pounds heavy. Then I got on the scales, did some quick math and in fact I was 2000 lbs over! I couldn't believe it so when I got home, I removed my hitch, filled the truck with fuel and went to the scales again to weigh just the truck. The payload capacity that I thought I had, wasn't close to the specs. By the time I added options, tools and other personal items, the actual payload was about 70% of what I though I had. Add passengers and the hitch...well you get my point.

Now, I only rely on the scales. The specs are just guides to start. Just my personal experience.

Ken
Ken, that is a good suggestion. Just to see where I am, I will find time to load my truck with everything I think I would be carrying (my wife and I combined are around 310 lbs), tools, full tank, and sandbags to simulate a hitch and see how much the truck itself weights.

Paul I hear what you are saying, but I rather buy a different trailer (I like the 3710FL as a possibiliy) than a new truck (or a duelly).
Hroddv8 is offline   Reply With Quote