Thread: New brakes
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How many miles do you have? Is this your first brake service? I had about 100,000 miles on my 2006 truck before changing just the brake pads. The rotors were turned (not replaced)and high-quality pads were installed (may have had ceramic but I forget). I still had a lot of pad left, but since I'd never owned a truck and most cars I owned the brakes needed service about 40,000 to 60.000 miles so I couldn't believe I could go 100,000 and still have that much pad left over. I changed them anyway just for grins.

What I found out and from comments in this forum, is that the truck being rated for 22,500 combined gross weight and since at the time I wasn't towing much, the brakes just weren't wearing all that much and many members and others commented their trucks went far beyond 100.000 miles before needing brakes. But it was too late, I had already had the brakes serviced.

Now that I am full-timing, I am sure I will be getting more frequent brake services but not all that much different, since I am not towing far and most miles on the truck are when the truck isn't loaded with too much.

If this is your first service, then I'm impressed? So do you need rotors, or are you just wanting to change them out (I understand slotted rotors work cooler, hence helping your brakes last longer)? I hope you don't mind me being so curious.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote