View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Just my thoughts, but the only time I would worry about applying RTV on a wheel seal would be if it were on a boat trailer that gets submerged in water at the boat ramp. Dexter seemingly thinks differently. Most wheel seals today have a teflon like layer on the outer diameter anyways.
As for tightening the nut on your brake drums ... the 50 ftlb figure then back off is more for a new bearing/race installation, but if you have a torque wrench it won't hurt to go that route. People that have chinched up the wheel bearing nuts for a while just use water pump pliers and a flip of the wrist while spinning the brake drum. If you have a cotter pin setup instead of the newer spring washer lock ... never tighten the nut to the next available slot ... go a bit looser to the next slot down. Get the nut wrist snug ... don't reef down on it like you would a bolt holding something together.
Dieselguy thanks for the advice! I have a tendancy to over tighten so a great explanation on the wrench technique. I thougth the sealant seemed odd. I will have to wait for another weekend on the bearings supposed to rain all weekend here. Thanks again.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote