View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Prior to purchasing our current Montana we owned a smaller SOB 5er and a travel trailer, I pulled both of those with my '01 Dodge DRW LB and was not very concerned about weights, both units had considerably less storage space and I packed less in the truck box.

The new Montana pushed the '01 closer to it's limits, I was under but there remained tons of storage space so it would have been easy to go over weight, that truck had a GVWR of 11,600.

The new 2012 Dodge DRW LB has a GVWR of 12,300 and after tripping with the Montana a couple of years we carry more stuff but I am still well under in all the axles, GVWR's and GCWR. I know this because to me it is important and I will not travel knowing I am over weight.

We take things out and put other things in from time to time and I am very aware of those things, I have scaled the TV separately and hooked up twice in the two years I have owned them, the change was minimal so I am confident I will remain within the limits.

My choice to weigh my units is twofold, my personal safety and that of my family and because even if I am not at fault I do not want some suit happy lawyer trying to make a case against me.

I too am overweight, but not much and try to keep my weight over the lighter front axle.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote