View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

When keystone is using a $2 automotive part, guess what the quality is. John
Sadly it is not just a cheap $2 automotive part it is also a cheap offshore made part worth $0.18. In spite of that, if Lippert specified an 80amp breaker on their spec sheet, the responsibility would fall entirely on Montana or anyone else using the components. Why do they not do this. Well because the pump should not draw more than 50 amps if there is sufficient battery to maintain the voltage/amps required.
This being a known problem to Keystone why don't they put a larger amperage breaker in at build. Because it was not specified by Lippert and it might cost a bit more.

Normally we get one battery when we purchase our units, that is just not enough and even with two the voltage drops very quickly when you have cold weather or overloaded slides or anything else that adds to the power required to move the slides.

I bought an 80 amp resettable breaker after experiencing this problem early on with my Montana, it is still in my tool box, the original works fine with two batteries and plugged into shore power, never does it fail to extend or retract all four slides or run the level up.

I am fortunate that when my Montana is not being used it is plugged in, so the last thing I do before pulling out is unplug and store the power cord. I do the same when I arrive at a campground, after parking, the first thing I do is hook up to shore power, do the level up and then extend all the slides. When leaving I retract all slides, manually lift all but the front jacks before disconnecting from shore power. If you do this and your batteries are in good shape you will have no slides stopping going in or out.

OR... you can put in an 80 amp breaker and really drop the voltage down on that poor battery, my choice is to assist the batteries with the 90amps my converter puts out and I actually think my batteries will last longer.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote