View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would like to add a couple of comments/suggestions to the mod that Ozz and others have done on their stoves.

Having the room to install an electric ignition system creates some problems particularly getting one that is capable of handling the three burners and the oven, you need a unit with a capability to spark a minimum of 4 burners. I was not able to find one locally that would fit in the limited space I had.

The first one I installed was for 3 burners, I thought by doubling up on one wire for 2 burners it would work, not so, there was not enough power in the coil to spark all three burners and the oven at the same time consistently. I installed this one in the original hole and was able to get a small one for the oven. I measured and "re-measured" and drilled the hole for the second one. I now have two battery powered units that do fit side by side and work perfectly. You can hear the oven sparker even with the door shut, lots of spark there, but the wait time for the propane to get to the pilot is not shortened, however you are now not down on your hands and knees with your neck crooked around to see what you are doing.

Do not buy the cheapest unit you can find, you will wind up with the same problems Ozz has and it will make the mod not worth doing, especially if you have to keep the original twist sparker as well.

I took pictures of my complete job, however I took my stove out and worked on it in my workshop where I had more room.

For those that use their ovens quite a bit this is a great mod and ours has performed flawlessly for over a year now.

This picture shows the two battery powered units side by side after installation in my stove.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote