Thread: Rear bike hitch
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Since Keystone voided my frame warranty because the selling dealer installed a aftermarket spring shackle brace, before I took delivery I decided what the heck. I bought my 3150RL cause it was the shortest model and I planned on double towing. (Keystone reversed their position after a meeting with the aftermarket company engineers and sales management) but would not put anything in writing, except my warranty was voided.

I went to my local trailer hitch place, family owned for Years, and told them what I wanted to do. They looked under it and asked what I wanted to tow. Build me a hitch that will tow at least 3,500lbs with 500lbs tongue weight.

They built a "H" out of 2" square tube, welded 2x3" angle to mount points, ran the 2" square receiver tube thru the cross points 3' and bolted it to opposing I beam flanges with 8 grade 8 bolts. They said bolts would be stronger than welding. I agreed, class 8 trucks have their suspensions bolted to the frame rails.

By building a "H" frame they transferred the stress over a larger part of the frame rails. Hitches with a single cross bar have a huge twisting action and the mounts have a small contact patch with the rear most part of the I beam frame.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote