Thread: LT tires
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The weight rating to use for getting the correct tire is the wheel rating on the ends of the axle. I have 6,000 lb axles, then each wheel must be rated at a minimum of 3,000 lbs. If you only use the actual weight at the scale and each tire only weighs 2,500 lbs, then you can never carry another thing because that object could put your wheels at a new weight. Instead you want to use the maximum rating of the wheel and ensure you have some margin. I do currently have Marathons rated over 3,400 lbs so I not only satisfy the axle rating, I have some margin. My tires are approaching 6 years old and I will be replacing them prior to our next outing (probably in summer).

DQDick does have a great recommendation, that you must also know your individual wheel weights (only a scale can measure this), to ensure your rig wheel's are each below the rating. For example on my rig, all weights are about 2,700 lbs except the passenger rear at 2,400. It's been a while since I've been to the scales and hope to do this prior to getting my next set of tires, just to ensure things are still okay. Knowing ratings is required, but knowing your actual weights are within your ratings is even more important.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote