View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 AM   #63
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Hi Jay,, I have never towed with a SRW. When we bought our first 5th in '93, the sales man took us over to a SRW truck of a customer at the RV Dealership. He stood at the rear axle and pushed sideways on the bed rail. It moved side to side. He then took us to another customers truck, a DRW. Pushed on the bed and it was like pushing on the side of a building.

Until you pull with a DRW you will never know the stability you do not have.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I would agree with you with the older trucks. My 99 2500 Dodge with the diesel did exactly like you said. When I push on my 2012 3500 SRW today, it doesn't move like my 99 did. It is very solid. I have the same axle, springs, and brakes just like the 2012 3500 DRW. The only thing I do not have is the extra tire capacities that the 3500 DRW have.

Now what is really neat with the 3500 SRW is some electronic stuff that is not available with the DRW. With the GM models it is the StabiliTrak and trailer sway control. Apparently this system sensing a loss of lateral traction of the trailer and will adjust the engine output and brakes of the trailer accordingly. Never experienced it yet as my trailer present or past have ever swayed. Maybe it is more apparent with convention trailers... Also which I have experienced, is the Hill Start Assist which holds the truck still for a bit after the brake is released to give you time to move your foot to the go peddle.

I would suspect that the extra two wheels would add some stability, but I believe the main purpose of the extra wheels are for the extra load carrying that the DRW has to offer. Currently I am within my weights and I really enjoy my truck. I will continue to CAT scale as my DW has many more places to put stuff compared to our old SOB, and if the time comes where I exceed my current SRW it will be time for a diet or a new DRW.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote