View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The only thing that really puzzles me about all of these conversations about trucks is the constant references to the braking ability. If you are relying on the truck to brake the rig, something is amiss. If the rig's brakes are properly adjusted and the brake controller is properly adjusted, the argument about whether the truck will stop the load is not a valid one in my opinion! I would think if you are relying on the truck to stop the hauled combination that very easily could approach eight tons, you are setting yourself up for a jack-knife situation. The rig should be adjusted so that the brakes complement the braking ability of the truck and BOTH should brake as evenly as physically possible. Would someone please explain to me where this argument is not valid, and particularly in an emergency braking situation. We chose the dually simply because of the weight capabilities, the braking power of the truck did not figure into the equation. Comments and clarification of my thoughts whether to agree or disagree are welcome (as always)! And I did not mention the weight capabilities so I am proud of myself!!
Bingo
x2
Anyone, and I mean anyone who thinks they can "control" a 15,000 lb trailer with an 8,000 lb tow vehicle in a panic stop situation is woefully mistaken. JMHO
There, I said what I've thought every time this subject comes up.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote