View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have done the trip in both the 3400RL and the SOB. I had no problems. First time with the 3400RL we stayed in Petaluma (Military) and used the F-350 King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long bed, for touring. My theory is, if you can get a standard size car into the space I can get the truck into the space. No problem traversing the city or the bridge.

The option would be to park the truck and take the local transportation, buses, trolleys, BART, etc., (More on that below)

Second time we stayed at the AFB military camp, Travis AFB, and there are some CG's around there. It was a 20 mile drive to the nearest BART. We thoroughly enjoyed the public transportation, but then we are "senior citizens" so the price is very right.

Traveling the BART System: You can go on-line and read many different programs for riding the BART. The first is to go to a facility that will provide you with the BART card for $2. Then you go to an agent station and fill it with money. Just put in enough for a few days, and you can always add more at at BART station. You don't need anything else but that card populated with $$. It is then used on buses, trolleys, trains, etc. It is a proximity card and you just scan it when you get on the ride. It is absolutely the easiest way to tour around San Francisco.

We did not tour Alcatraz but we did take a boat tour for $15 each that got us up real close, and was worth the ride, not to just Alcatraz but out to the GG bridge for some great picture shots.

Anyhow, for what it's worth.

Look at the RV PARK REVIEW website, key in San Francisco, then look at the outlying areas for reviews of campgrounds.

Just remember that where you stay is not as important as the purpose of the stay. You may not want to return to that CG, but it is just a place to sleep.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote