Thread: Chevy vs Dodge
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bought my first Dodge Ram in May 2007. It's the truck we still have, so see particulars in my signature. Today it has 92,000 miles on it. At 13,000 the Dodge folks told me they wanted to replace the turbo with a newer version. Mine was an early 6.7L Cummins with the original style diesel.

It has been totally trouble-free ever since. I change oil (synthetic) at 10,000 miles and have replaced the tires and brake pads. That's it.

I really think all three brands are good choices. But I sure do like this Dodge a lot. One thing I really like is that, because it is a straight six instead of a V8, it doesn't scream at 3800 rpm going up those steep hills. Shoot, the engine redlines at 3200. It will downshift, taking rpm to 2700 to 2900 on those really steep hills at highway speeds, then after about two seconds rpm drops to 2100 to 2500 depending on speed, terrain, etc. And, as often as not, it will further upshift as it climbs the hill, often topping the hill at somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm. That, in my opinion, directly contributes to the legendary reliability and longevity of the Cummins. That and the fact that it runs very cool. Most days when towing it's running 196 to 200 degrees F. We've run some 10 percent hills and one 14 percenter in the summer. The highest temperature I've ever seen is 218 degrees. That readout is from my Garmin EcoRoute HD unit that reads the numbers directly from the truck's computer. Again, low heat equals longevity.

I do think, as I said before, that all three major brands are good trucks. Everyone should buy the one that makes them the happiest to own and use. I also have to say this Dodge and Cummins has convinced me my next truck, if I do someday trade, will be another Ram with Cummins.

The question about the transmission - ours is the 68RFE, the current six speed automatic. So far, at 92,000 miles it has never failed me. We had the fluid changed and both filters changed at 66,000 miles. That's all that's been done to it.

Ron, you have lots of good choices out there. Good luck whichever you choose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote