Thread: Spare Tire
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think I agree with Bingo about the size of the tires being more important than not and having a spare not of the same size is a detriment. It's bad enough when the spare is gonna be slightly larger than the other tires because it has more rubber.

While the size of the tire does not matter when backing or turning a rig into a parking spot, this is typically done at very slow speeds. But driving highway speeds after correcting a flat is more critical that the tires be at the same size on the same axle. The single fixed axle with the smaller tire might tend to want to turn to that side or since the TV is just power dragging both tires in a forward direction, one of these tires is gonna be subjected to some unnatural dragging or forces and I think this is another mishap waiting to happen.

This is the major reason that a vehicle's cheater spare is limited to slower speeds and short distances for a vehicle and even in that case there is a differential to help combat the different sizes temporarily. A trailer has none of these luxuries, weighs a lot more and therefore think that the different tire sizes on the same axle cannot be good.

Just my thoughts from reading articles from people smarter than me that have described why this is not good. I can't provide any links but if we think about it, this makes more sense than keeping different size tires and capabilities for my behemoth trailer.

But like what I've learned from the MOC, one can do whatever they want, but just know what you're doing and accept what happens! I have since mentally added the corollary, but if things break under normal operating conditions, why provoke it? My past tire problems have never occurred with 50 miles of a long term solution.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote