View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I think this depends on the model year of the rig. I have a 2006 and there is a very noticeable downward slope over the front cap and where the bedroom opening is located which means when an A/C is mounted over the bedroom, this slope helps that the height is not impacted as much as it would on the newer model rigs that have a flatter roof (no downward slope).

So the angle of the roof has something to do with how much the A/C adds in height. A low profile A/C would help reduce the height gain even more since they are not as tall but if the new rig has a flat roof at point of the rig where you mount the 2nd A/C you'll be adding whatever the height of the A/C unit. You do have to worry about this when traveling and hitched on your TV so that's the best time to measure the highest point on the rig. Then if you use airbags, hit bouncy roads you might get just a tiny, little bit more height. Then you also have to wish that the height for an underpass is not impacted by repaving.

This is the price that's paid for the beefier, taller interiors for our trailers. At last check, my trailer was under 12' 6" (a 2nd full size A/C would add about 2" at last check, a low profile would add no height) and that's almost a foot lower overall than these newer models!

This is another reason I will try and avoid larger tires for my rig that might raise the overall height. Just another precaution to think about. And again, my Monty is a foot lower than the newer (and heavier) rigs.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote