Thread: Pin Weight
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
To complete the cross reference, the shipping weight is the same as dry weight and is also called curb weight.

The pin weights are listed as Hitch weight which are 2105, 1965 & 2010. These are typically calculated between 15% and 25%. Keep in mind these are pin weights of an empty trailer and probably at the low end of the potential pin weight. If you want to calculate the average pin weight multiply the Gross Trailer Weight Rating and multiply times 19% which is the weight of the pin when it's loaded when 15% to 25% is expected. Therefore for the three models listed, the pin weights would be 2,965 for model 340RLQ, 2,938 for model 350RLQ and 2,947 for a 360REQ, or an average of 2,950 lbs.

One way to lighten pin weight is store items directly over the axles or in the back of the trailer. This will lighten the pin weight. Don't go so far as to make the trailer carry too much over the tires but it will be a balancing act with a 3/4 ton vehicle and even worse because tow weight is lessened with a 4x4 versus 4x2. My Monty has about 2,600lbs over the pin and I have some weight rating to spare in the rear of the rig if I was worried and since my Monty is somewhat below GTWR and Axle weight ratings.

Welcome to the "watching our rig weight" club.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote