Thread: Tail swing?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sharon, I was focused on your comment about your SOB and now Monty. If you pivot the Monty on the tires the back end will swing. The simple answer is the back end will swing the radius (9' for your Monty) if pivoted on the tires.
So if something is only 8 feet from your tire pivot point then the back end will hit it since you said it is 9 feet long. Most turns do not deal with just pivoting, hopefully there is forward motion too so if you move forward two feet the same time the tail end is swinging then you will still miss the obstruction that was 8 feet from your pivot point when the turn started. That is true unless the object was only a few inches from the side of the Monty or maybe even a foot depending on how tight the turn was. It is all down to the forward movement and sharpness of the turn.

The point to remember is the back end is swinging in the opposite direction the nose is moving. Therefore, if the side of the trailer is close to an obstruction before the turn is started the back end could touch it unless you pull forward to clear it first.

Bottom line as was stated, have a spotter for the rear, on both sides, especially outside for tight turns.

I hope this makes sense because I am confused.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote