Thread: False reading
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 05:44 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We have been playing around with this problem for a year. First, we have had the dealer(s) try to fix the indication system problem twice, OK short term, but no lasting results (black tank). Still 2/3 full all the time. Now have decided to just ignore the readings.

If connected to a sewer system, we have found that our best "technique" is to keep all valves closed for about 5-6 days, depending on galley/bathtub usage, or until the black tank gets full (as determined visually). That usually takes at least 6-8 days, longer the more we use the local "facilities". We sometimes partially dump the galley or bathroom tanks earlier if they get close to full. All things being equal, we usually dump all thre on the 6th or 7th day.

For the usual situation, we dump the black tank first, close the black tank valve, then use the tank "flush" system (using a second hose) with the black tank valve closed. After about 4 min, we open the black tank drain valve again, shut off the water to the flush system and drain the black tank. I sometimes repeat this process one more time. I then (sometimes) use the grey and then the galley tanks to assist with a third "flush" of the black tank, as describe3d in a preceding post. When all are flushed and valves closed, I add about 1 min worth of water via the second hose flush system, disconnect the flush hose, and, finally, add the chemical from inside. Start to finish is about 20-30 min, for everything..

Do NOT allow yourself to get distracted while using the flush system into the black tank!!!! Tie a rope around an appendage of choice or clip a flag to your nose, whatever you need to prevent "forgetting" that the water is going into the black tank or you will really regret it!! So far, so good.....

I think I will try the water softener technique soon....have black tank about 1/2 to 2/3 full of untreated water, add the softener, and allow the solution to roll around while driving for a day. We'll see how it works out. Might even try "Rainex" (windshield wetting agent)once...who knows?? Anyone done that yet??

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote