Thread: Dodge 3500
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
You'll hear lots of arguments about Ford/Dodge/GM and which is best but I believe they'll all do the job if you have a 1 ton with a diesel engine. I towed with a single rear wheel truck and went to a dually which I think feels waaaay more stable and stops better (more rubber on the road). For my dollar the Dodge fits best. I love the Cummins 6.7L engine for both power and economy with the 6 speed auto. I get about 18 to 18.5 MPG empty on the hwy (driving 60 - 65 MHP in Alaska) and about 11 to 12 mpg towing my 36' Montana. I like that the new Dodges come equipped with intergal trailer break controller and the exhaust break.

We've all heard stories about all brands regarding quality and break-downs and problems getting service. Mine's an '07 - I have 60,000 miles, drive it carefully, follow all the care and maintenance recommendations (doesn't cost that much in the bigger scheme) and have never had a problem. Could be that there are some that break and some that don't. Maybe I'm just lucky but so far no problems.

All that said, I believe a comprably equipped Ford or Chevy will do roughly the same. Drive them all and see how you feel in terms of visibility and comfort. They all perform very well. Good luck...enjoy the excitment of a new rig.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote