View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Word of caution. On a website somewhere (not sure if it was "dirtyblindman" or some other one) I read that one of the biggest problems with these day/night shades is that they are shipped from the factory very tight to guarantee that they do NOT move during transportation. Then it was explained that each owner should loosen all of their shades a little bit and as soon as possible because using the day/night shades when they are that tight will cause the the cords to break, which is what happened to me.

It is difficult to know exactly how loose to make them but they should be tight enough and even enough where just a little looser would cause them to drop and operate evenly. Then when travelling keep the shades down so they don't drop from the movement. This took a while to make all the adjustments in my rig because we have a lot of these in every room, in all sizes, on all but one window in the kitchen, ugh! But I have not had any problems since except that I need to tighten up one or two because it was too loose.

IIRC, Wayne is right that wax be used as a lubricant but I don't remember what kind (bee, candle, etc.)

It took me a long time to repair the failed unit but I am glad I did it. Maybe the next one won't take so long.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote