View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by joco

So does this mean its ok to use the Zertz fitting? How are people getting grease on their brake linings? Maybe Ill just upgrade to never lube hubs... anyone know how much they cost?
In some hubs, the zerk ports into a closed chamber and too much pressure/too much grease has no choice but to force the grease out the seals. But as you can see in the video Steve posted, these hubs are ported so that the grease flows into the rear of the hub and out the front instead of out a seal. Too much pressure too fast and it would surely go out the seal also. I am sure that is why some have had the problem of getting grease on the brakes. Or maybe from not continuously turning the wheel.
Also from the video, you can see that grease thru the zerk only goes to the inner bearing. The only way to get it to the outer bearing is to push enough grease thru to move it from inner to the outer. That would explain why Bill's outer bearing was dryer.
As I said, I pumped mine very slowly while continuously turning the wheel. Again, I would not recommend anyone else doing it since there have been some who had a problem with it. But following the Dexter directions seemed to work for me.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote