View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Removed all 5 tires today and had the new Freestar tires mounted and spin balanced. Also had 4 new high pressure stems installed. The tire dealer told me that the original stems from the factory should never have been installed in the factory rims. Wrong ones. They called the spare tire rim "old Style" and couldn't put a "High Pressure" stem in it. All of my original stems were completely rubber. The new stems are all metal. So if you have the rubber type of stems in your factory wheels you might want to check with your local tire dealer. I sure am glad I had them balanced. They had to add quite a few weights to get them balanced. May be due to Freestar but I recently had new Michelin tires mounted on my TV and Costco used several weights on them to get them balanced too. Feels good to have 5 new tires again. Hopefully these Freestars won't be as troublesome as the Missions. Won't have the RV on the road again until April and intend to have the axle alignment checked before our 1600 mile return trip home. Hopefully, I'm through with tire issues for awhile. The Freestar tires look a whole lot better than the Missions did even when they were new. No sidewall deformities at all. I noticed slight dips and bulges in the Mission sidewalls when we took delivery of the new 3400RL. Dealer response was, not to worry, they all had the same bulges. The bulges were not the source of our problems, as far as I know, but they sure didn't offer a nice, warm & fuzzy appearance. The tread separation we experienced seemed to be quite remote from the sidewall bulges.

BTW, the Shipping document attached to one of the new tires from Tireco included a note to call them when I was ready to have them pick up the old Missions.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote