View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I read all of this and think back to my diesel. And it all goes back to the fuel filter prior to the injectors and having fuel present.
On my 2001 duramax, if you run out of fuel or change the fuel filter, once you have fuel back into the tank, it must be primed back into the fuel filter to eliminate the air.
Above my fuel filter, there is a bleed valve and a prime pump. 13mm small socket to open the bleed valve, pump slowly until fuel present at the bleed valve (it will weep a little fuel), then tighten down the bleed valve and continue with the prime pump bulb until it gets too hard to pump.

You can literally hear the fuel pumping or siphoning into the fuel filter, eliminating the air bubble and pressurizing the the fuel injectors. Once pumped up, starts within two seconds of turning the key over.

works every time, and pretty sure it has not changed on the new Duramaxes. Most diesels cannot pump the kind of pressure needed for the injectors (sometimes above 30,000 psi) without an electric and a mechanical fuel pump.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote