View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
As OntMont says... the rules in Ontario are "different".. I will be going to the scales next week and that will solve some problems right away.......The caption "weight is determined by the force the wheels exert on the roadway" is the way it is here...so I would assume that my permit indicates what they believe that force is (until I weigh it I guess)....... another little caption found in the section that relates When Does Your Truck or Trailer requires a Safety Standards Certificate (SSC)...every towed vehicle that weighs over 2800Kg EXCEPT a HOUSE TRAILER requires a SSC.........and when determining the weight of your truck for such a certificate.....the PIN / TONGUE weight of the House trailer is not added to the weight of the truck........Now some folks have used that as an excuse NOT to increase the RGW of their trucks,,I think that would be a mistake as it only pertains to the requirement for an SSC.. As long as the RGW of the truck stays under 4500Kg then you dont need an SSC for it..... Thanks guys I will let you all know what my weights are....also in Ontario.... these sections are open to interpretation and can be construed in all kinds of ways.....hence, all the confusion....So, if you are stopped by an MTO inspector or OPP officer, he enforces the rules as he sees fit.....the courts decide if he is right or wrong.....and that can be very inconvenient or costly..depending on circumstances......I dont know many(if ANY) that enforce to the letter of the statute,,and will give you as much credit as possible if you are making a concerted effort to conform and follow the rules..I will increase my RGW...and keep my weights down...but the "A" licence and all its requirements as it pertains to RV's seem to be overkill...........Hopefully the rules will change to accomodate us.....I was actually hoping we would be grandfatherd in...

*******This is a RUMOUR that has come from someone who should be on top of things in the system.........the New WEIGHTS for RV's will be 7260Kg (16000lb)for towed vehicle and a COMBINED weight of 11800Kg(26000lb) The "just introduced legislation" is for a certain class of trailers(commercial) and the next set will be for RV's.........a rumour is a rumour at best, but we can hope...***********
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote