Thread: An observation
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

Some great points. One thing we are struggling with is the 'stuff' issue. How have others tackled storage? Any suggestions on creative 'filing'?
Bernie and Tammy, good question! I think we all struggle with that one. The others covered things that can be electronically filed so I'll touch on physical items requiring room onboard. First, understand you will probably start out with more than you really need. We did. You'll get creative about where to put things. You'll find places you can create new storage. Maybe under the refrigerator. Or under the bottom desk drawer. Or a second level of storage under the bed.

Then you'll find yourself reorganizing to make access more convenient for those items used most frequently. And after six months to a year you'll start offloading those things you never used. And you'll add back somethings you should have brought in the first place.

You know, we have a forum for modifications to our Montanas. Maybe someone could start a new thread about where have you created new storage and we could post those things there for others to see.

For example, a couple of items I could post (some of these ideas are from other MOC'ers).

1. under our fridge is a board with four screws in it. Removing those screws shows empty space under the fridge. Putting a hinge and latch on the board turns it into a door.

2. if you pull out the plywood in the storage area under the bed, cut it in half, put a handle on each half, put it back in place but without the screws, you now have access to additional storage under that plywood. The area between the rails is available all the way back to the raised, carpeted area. Look at this with slide extended, though!

3. On our 3295RK I knocked out the decorative paneling below the oven and also below the bottom desk drawer. I had door panels made at Home Depot, installed hinges and, presto, more storage.

4. I recently saw on another brand where in the basement storage area they screwed loops of strapping material to the vertical sidewalls. These could be used for storage of brushes, awning rods, you name it. I'm also thinking of adding some kind of loops, perhaps rigid metal, attached to the underside of the basement storage ceiling framework. I could store my ladder there as well as more brushes, etc. I've not done this yet.

Pictures available for 1 through 3 on request.

I'm sure there are many ideas out there. Anyone want to start a thread on this topic?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote