View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
California has opened a can can of worms with their so called Rv endorsement. Most of the testing requirements are taken from the federal mandated CDL testing requirements but they are all jumbled up. First the Rv endorsement is a rider on the Calif license and NOT in any way a CDL license. So I hold Class "B" CDL license this is the definition..

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR

So my 3400 Montana and the 1 ton Ford is NOT a single Vehicle but a "combination of vehicles" and the Montana has a GVWR of over 10K.... as defined in a "Class A' CDL

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Of course we have no problem because we are NOT a commerical vehicle..However..we COULd be a commerical vehicle. If I were delivering that same 3400 from the Montana Factory to a dealer anywhere I would be "for Hire" and subject to the CDL requirements. Which would seem to indicate I needed a Class A CDL...Well I give up so I called State of Ohio BMV in Columbus, described the above conditions and asked what class license I needed. They asked...1. Are you carrying passengers... answer..NO 2. Are you UNDER 26,001 LBS total...answer yes... I need a Class B CDL which I have. They go by weight in this case...The reason I asked the question in the first place was that IF Ohio came up with RV testing would my Class B CDL cover that...answer at least today..is yes..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote