View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I forget who to credit but someone once said "It is easy to stop drinking. I know it is as I have done it a thousand times". For most smokers it should read "It is easy to stop smoking. I know it is as I have done it a thousand times".

Lisa don't despair.
I know from personal experience how hard it is to quit. T smoked my first cigarette at 8 years of age and after nearly 50 years of smoking I quit a pack and a half a day habit using Nicoderm patches when I was 58 years old. After 6 years you would have thought I was a successful example.....NOT.
I have spoken to doctors and a psychiatrist and they all said the same thing.."be 100% ready or there is a 90% chance you will not be successful.
I tried cold turkey, used Nicorette and yes even hypnotism. They all worked for a short period but none ever work completely as I was never 100% ready. After getting off of them using Nicoderm at age 58 and after 6 years the thought of how good a cigarette would taste never left me. It had nothing to do with nicotine or any other drug. It had to do with being ready and apparently I never was. The urge became overwhelming and I tried just one smoke last winter and today I am back to a pack plus everyday.
Next week I have a doctors appointment and I will ask about the drug Chantix. If she prescribes it for me I will absolutely give it a try but from previous experience I have my doubts as to how well it will work.
Quote:
quote:So, I'm going to try again this year.
I do better with a set date, although there
is no time like the present.
Yes but not if you are not 100% ready.

Guess I'll go light one up.............

ON EDIT...For Lorraine's health I never smoke in the trailer, or in the truck and I always ask for non-smoking when we go out.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote