View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
"Chevy offers the most cab to axel clearance" - this refers to the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle where your hitch will be mounted. To give an example; the distance from your rear window to the center of the rear axle is 36". The Montana is 8' or 96" wide. Take the 96/2= 48". This is the purpose of the Superglide...you cannot get 48" of coach into 36" of space. By sliding the kingpin back 14" you will have a combined 50" of space to get 48" of coach into.

The bed height of the "new body" bed is 2" taller than the classic bed depth. The Superglide cannot be adjusted vertically, so any and all adjustments must come from the kingpin. My extended kingpin has three adjustment holes, but I believe the new Montana's only have two. On my specific truck, there is more than 9" of clearance between the bed rails and the coach.

"How wide of a trailer do you plan to pull?" This question was asked because some of the larger/heavier 5th wheels on the market are 101" or 8.5" wide. The standard 18K Superglide will not give you enough clearance for a 101" wide coach. You would need to step up to the 24K Superglide which gives 18" of slide clearance. The problem with this would be you are well over the GVWR on a 2500HD when towing a coach that would require the 24K Superglide.

"Also does the king pin stick out in front of the trailer or is it tucked underneath the trailer and by how much in inches?" This was asked because the extended kingpin will give you additional clearance between the truck and coach. King pins that stick out in front of the coach puts the coach farther behind the hitch than a coach that has a non-extended king pin. The Pullrite website has a few graphics showing exactly how the different lengths of the king pin effect the overall clearance between the coach and truck.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you more...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote