View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 AM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dave, that is an excellent point and I believe the braking is covered by the combined rating which for both 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks is usually the same with most now being 23000 pounds.
In fact this is what confuses so many people. Both 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have the same combined rating and can both pull equally heavy bumper pull trailers. It is the pin weight of a Fifth wheel that requires a heavier rear axle and sometimes a dually.
In 2005 Ford really bumped up the payloads of all their Superduties. The 3/4 tons went up to 10000 pounds and the 1 ton SRW went up to 11400. I am not sure what the duallies are.
Now Ford has introduced the F450 with higher ratings yet. All this is happening for a reason.
Some States and Provinces are enforcing weight ratings. You can be as comfortable as you want with your RV but if it is over the weight ratings, you are breaking the warranty agreement on your vehicle and you are breaking the law. Call people like Bert and myself weight policeman.
Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper.......lol, but I get several PMs a month from members thanking me for my stand on truck ratings and helping them to choose the right vehicle. I drive a SRW F350 with an 11200 GVWR and the only rating I am slightly over on is my Montanas 12180 pound axle ratings if my water tank is full I am around 12300.
One last comment, so many posters try so hard to keep within the GVWR of the Fifthwheel but are happy as a clam to overload their TV. It makes no sense to me.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote