View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Excellent post Glenn, being a Fire Inspector out here in Wa. State I've aquired quite a few stories involving everything from investigation house fires and finding detectors disconnected to extinguishers not working when the time comes due to age and lack of attention. If I were to add anything to your outstanding post it would be this; when one goes out to purchase an ABC extinguisher spend the extra $ and get one with a metal head assembly rather than plastic one. The cheaper ones tend to lose pressure thus making it "Out-of-Service", at that point you might as well throw it away. Most, if not all, extinguisher shops will not reservice them due to safety issues. Always good to not only have one extinguisher inside the RV but to have one outside also. Worst feeling in the would is to have a fire inside the RV between you and the extinguisher.
Here at Fort Lewis I make the rounds at least once a week out to our RV camp looking for anything fire related as well as checking out the Newer Rigs and trading stories & idea's. During those inspections I'll ask campers if their extinguishers are Ok and if not will take them in for reservicing, at no cost, only if the head assembly is not plastic. Again great Post.

John K.
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote