View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also do our banking online. First, understand that a determined hacker of high quality can break into nearly any system, even the one sitting on your desk at home hooked to a phone line connected to the internet.

How easily they can do that depends. First, do you have a decent firewall on your system? I recommend the free ZoneAlarm. That helps reduce the potential for breaking into your system.

Is the park's wifi system security enabled? If so, that's one more level of protection, although a good hacker can get past that.

Are the websites you use for banking using encryption? Check for the padlock on the browser. That also helps. But, again, a good hacker can break that.

There are some other things that can be done, too, but, bottom line is that the odds of someone grabbing your info off the wifi system in the rv park are extremely slim. It can happen but it is slim. Slim enough I've never had a problem with anyone getting into my information and using it. Most hackers are going after bigger fish. I don't worry about it.

Glenn, yes, a good, dedicated hacker CAN break into your system. The odds are very, very small, that anyone would, however, try to get in via your wireless. Most attacks come directly from the web. A firewall, like ZoneAlarm, is imperative, in my opinion, whether on wifi, dsl, cable, or dialup.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote