View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 07:37 PM   #5
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I grew up.in Missouri with tornadoes, and I've lived in Alabama for 20+ years with tornadoes. I lived through the tornado outbreak of April 27, 2011 in Alabama which killed hundreds of people--so I think the possibility that there will be a tornado during your trip is absolutely something to be considered, and something to be taken seriously.

Having said that, I pretty much agree with Lynwood--don't worry about it too much, and enjoy your trip! I would add, however, that you should prepare before you leave home, so that you'll be able to act quickly if you need to. I recommend doing this:

1) Print out maps of the states you'll be traveling in--maps which specifically have counties outlined and labeled clearly on them--and keep those maps within reach while you're driving. When tornado watches and warnings are issued, they're issued for counties. You'll want to always be able to know what county you're in, and what counties are around you.

2) Every day while traveling, check the local weather forecast in the morning for everywhere you'll be that day and the next day. Potentially dangerous weather is usually warned about well in advance now. (Over-warned, in my opinion.)

3) If you're on the road and driving through potentially dangerous weather, listen to local radio stations. They will break in with warnings. If there's a tornado warning, there will probably even be a station or two broadcasting live, wall-to-wall TV weather coverage of the tornado warning and the storm's path. Or if you can watch live local TV coverage on your phone, do that.

Also, if you Google the name of whatever city you're near or county you're in, plus "weather," watches and warnings will come up, too.

If you're on the road and there's a tornado headed toward you, keep an eye out for exits you can take and buildings you can duck into, and get off the road and into a building ASAP. If you're traveling with pets, make sure they're on leashes/in carriers before you get on the road to begin with, and make sure they have lots of ID on them.

4) If you think there will be bad weather while you're at a particular campground, ask the campground where you and your pets can go to take shelter in case of emergency. They probably already have a designated place, like a laundry room or an office. If they don't, look around the area and make a plan of your own. (Like you'll go to a gas station or a grocery store or someplace like that.)

Once you're prepared and have plans in place, don't think about it any more unless you have to!
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote