Thread: Dish TV
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2023, 12:55 PM   #16
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
One of the limitations of satellite connections is the Keystone built in wiring in the camper and the cable length restrictions of the Wally. There are tons of posts on this subject with people using a variety of methods to get the signal to the DISH Wally Receiver.

The issue is the Wally Receiver IS THE Playmaker or Tailgater antennas POWER SOURCE through the coax. Wally provides the 24v DC to power the antenna but anything over 50 feet, including the camper wiring, and the power attenuates impacting the ability of the antenna to aim itself and still provide a strong RF signal back to the Wally.

Winegard sells this device - SATELLITE POWER INSERTER AND CABLE EXTENDER
Model: PI-GM60 that can be configured to work with DISH and the Playmaker antenna. It basically boosts the power going to the antenna, compensating for the lower power from the Wally. Winegard want's $137 for this device and although I've been tempted, I have not "invested" in this upgrade yet. I've usually been successful placing the Playmaker on the roof of a slide out in our 3791 or somewhere within the 50 ft cable length off the back of the trailer.

I use the free Winegard TV Signal Finder for Android to find the satellites. The app lets you see an image of the location with the satellites showing using the phone camera to help you ID obstacles like trees (or your truck ). This app also shows all the TV stations within 70 miles with channel numbers and network info.

We like having Dish, but don't turn it on unless we are on the road for at least 3 weeks since it's a monthly commitment (30 days) each time you activate it. We still have U-verse at our sticks & bricks.

Also, DISH has their own cell network now, but coverage is limited. I'm unsure if they offer any bundles combining Cell and Satellite.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote