View Single Post
Old 08-09-2023, 09:16 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I often wonder how our parent’s generation dealt with this kind of heat and no air conditioning.

Now you are making me feel old! Growing up, our "air conditioning" was whatever breeze would blow thru the screen doors and windows. We eventually got an evaporative (swamp) cooler. But with our typical humidity that barely made any difference except it did move a lot of air. Real air conditioning was at the downtown movie theater for an afternoon movie. And maybe a stop by the five & dime if I had an extra quarter. It was rumored that the rich folks actually had air conditioners in their houses!

And for heat in the winter we only had gas space heaters. But due to carbon monoxide concerns those were not operated at night. And the old house had no insulation. So nights were gauged by 1, 2, or 3 of grandma's quilts depending on temperature which sometimes dipped into the low teens or single digits. But since we never knew any different, it all seemed normal. But I know now what those people who still do not have AC have to live thru.

Finally moved into an air conditioned house at 23 after being married 2 years.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote