View Single Post
Old 07-31-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
Cottengim

M.O.C. #32972
Raising the entry door.

My wife and I have recently taken over ownership of my parents 2007 3400RL as they will no longer be RVing (age and health issues). We have already done a bunch of interior updates (flooring, paint, general refresh) and will be on the road by Labor Day.

While the 3400RL is a nice rig, a major improvement over our 2003 Wildcat 26FBS (28' tow trailer), I do not like the step down that is inside the trailer. First, the step is a little higher than a regular step. Second, it puts the door about 8" lower, which means the handle to open the door is also 8" lower. Third, if you are not paying attention, it could cause a stumble since you have to step down before going through the door. Lastly, as taller person, even with the step down, my head comes close to hitting the top of the door when I step down.

Question is, has anyone tried to raise the door on their Montana? There is plenty of room above the door and cutting through the siding should not be an issue provided there is no structural steel/aluminum in the way. The stairs would not be an issue as I plan to replace them with a fold in set anyway. Filling in the step area should not be difficult either. The hardest part will be patching the area under the door so that it matches the rest of the trailer.

Quick note: A shout out to Hblick48 for his 2021 post in a thread about entry stairs that included the attached image. I am writing this while at the office and forgot to take a picture before leaving for the day. He has a 2002 Montana 3280RL which has the same step well. With other models having this same issue, I am hoping someone has done what is in my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	15102  
Cottengim is offline   Reply With Quote