View Single Post
Old 06-29-2023, 09:31 AM   #15
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
I didn't know Furrion made anything worth buying!
I hold the same opinion, but always try to be objective.

Since that post, I've done more reading and watched some videos. They use an LG compressor which is a very good thing. LG builds some excellent mini-split systems and refrigerators. The compressors are mounted on rubber bushings like a residential unit. The condenser coil seems to be a little bigger than most RV units. Their thermostat looks like it's proprietary, and likely prohibits using a 3rd party stat with their equipment, but theirs offers some features I haven't seen in an RV before. They have an auto changeover option if you should need heat at night and AC during the heat of the day, My home stats have this feature and I've never used it. They also offer a "dry" mode setting; it will run the compressor on for 10 minutes and off for 6 minute cycles with the blower running in medium speed to lower the humidity. This would be really good for camping in months like April when there is little or no AC load but need dehumidification. They also come with factory installed soft starts. There is a filter/screen on the condenser side that they recommend changing periodically.

There were a couple of claims that I find difficult to believe. One is with the advanced streamlined housing design, they would improve fuel mileage, the other is that they claim to be able to create a 30 degree temperature delta, that's about 50% more than anything else on the market. I emailed them on Monday requesting additional information including the expanded cooling data chart, still haven't heard back.

Another thing I found concerning is there were several videos on how to change the condenser fan motor; maybe there is a high failure rate on these?
In any case; I'm just happy to see someone trying to identify issues with RV air conditioners and improve on them. I don't think there has been any real improvement on these since I bought my first camper 20 years ago.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote