View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Sounds like you already have a truck. Hopefully, it's a diesel.

A couple considerations IMHO:

- As mentioned already, those brands will be similar in many ways, so my recommendation would be to go with a floor plan and interior design that you both will enjoy. (Edit: We checked out most of the same brands and the Solitude and this is the main reason we went with the Montana. I also like the headroom in the main area and headroom/windows in the bedroom slide.) I say enjoy bc even though the plan is to RV for a year, you might find that you really enjoy it and want to see and do even more, and go a second year or longer.

- If you'll be moving around a lot, having auto-leveling and cord retraction would be a plus but it comes with extra expense. (Edit: These two were included in my technical wants plus disc brakes, slide awnings, and dual panes but we're planning on RVing for awhile.)

Besides brands, a few comments on trailering and RVing that could impact what you buy.

- Your truck will dictate the max trailer size and weight. Factor the max pin weight will be 22%-25% of trailer GVWR (max weight on the trailer sticker). That trailer GVWR is based on carrying water and waste. Make sure your truck can handle which way you will travel with it. We don't carry water and very little waste but still run 1000 lbs over the empty weight and it puts 3360 lbs (24%) on the hitch (trailer GVWR is 16,500). Some may say it's not safe unless your truck can handle the max pin weight plus max truck cargo weight (to be conservative, that's the way I sized the truck).

- Consider buying the trailer 3-6 months in advance to get used to it and to make sure it (and the truck) doesn't have any major issues. A problem could still arise when you set out but at least you'll know what you're starting out with.

- Consider the places you want to go, for example, if you are going to do a national and state parks journey, there are length and hook-up limitations but there are also many RV parks near national parks that are within reasonable driving distance. Advance trip planning is another topic.

- For a contrarian view, consider a motorhome and a toad.

Good luck with all your plans!