View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 07:09 AM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a 2006 2980 model. It has a very similar bedroom area. I had frame flex (the old really bad kind) and had broken welds in the front area. These were right where the cross beams at the lower front are welded to the vertical beams.

In those days, you could tell if this has happened by looking at the closet. I forget which way was which, but when hooked up (or off the truck and on the landing gear) the closet wall between the W/D or storage area and the clothes closet would bulge our - in my case an inch or more. Then when you hooked up (or unhooked- which ever was the opposite) it went away.

In my case I was traveling from AZ to Alaska and it got bad enough in Oregon and Washington I decided to get it fixed. I called the dealer in Tacoma(?) I think it was. The service manager - first said bring it in (on a Mon. or tues) and we can get it checked on Friday. And if there is something wrong it would be a couple of weeks!!! The real kicker - he said 'I have never heard of frame flex'. (I had picked that term up here on the forum when searching) So I crossed my fingers and slowly returned home and got it fixed in AZ.

So get that truck and hook up to take weight off landing gear and you will know if you have a structural problem. Good luck.

p.s. I was one of the first with this, I guess. Then on my 2013 Mountaineer it happened again on both the front end and the read end (rear wall sort of detaches!). That one cost me $5000 or so!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote