View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When it comes to a man and his truck, that's like attempting to get between a man and his woman. Some things men are simply hard headed about. So, with that thought in mind, here's my advise.

The fact the original poster asked the question at all should be a signal to him that he's questioning his own decision. And if he's questioning his own decision now, that means he knows deep down inside his decision is faulty. And simply by asking the question to start with, he's attempting to rectify a bad decision.

OK, he's going through the five stages of grief when reality hit him. He's between the denial stage and the bargaining stage in this process.

I think if given a little more time, he'll come to "acceptance" that he needs a heftier truck.

For the OP, I know most folks want to tow fifth wheels with as small of truck as possible. And folks also want to use that same truck as a daily driver. The fact is, you cannot have both. Otherwise, settle for a trailer that is within range of your truck specs.

Even with that, some folks make the choice for the lesser truck anyway, trying to justify their reasons: We only travel in flat country, never mountains. We only travel local, less than 200 miles. We only travel interstate. We will never ever come close to maxing out the trailers carrying capacity.

Every time you buckle up your seatbelt, you are making a statement that you are NOT expecting to make it safely to your destination. If that destination be a half a mile down to the road to the local grocery store, or a 10,000 mile 6 month long quest. An accident can happen pulling out of your own driveway (which actually happened to my son once). Yet, every single person who has been in an accident, when they left their home that morning, never expected it would happen to them on THAT day!

With all of this said, I'm not telling you want to do .... you already know ...

But here's my original quote to give you more food for thought:

“You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your tow vehicle, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote