View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #12
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
The fridge is a Norcold 2118 which is a huge 18+ cubic foot RV absorption fridge that gets horrible reviews. Every one that has one hates it, for It seems like everyone that has one has trouble getting it to maintain temps. Turned up to nine (1-9) if it was 90 degrees outside the fridge would be 45-50 degrees and freezer would hoover around 20.
Yes, I had a JC refrigeration 12 volt dual compressor cooling unit installed. For a while I had it connected directly to my genset via 10ft of 10 gauge wire. The fridge and freezer temps would fall very quickly. The installer ran 10 awg wire but it takes about a 50ft run for it has to run from the front to the very back where it enters the slide out and travels forward for about 15-20 ft. The run is about 50 ft. 10awg is not large enough for a run so long. Wire calculators suggest 4 or 6 gauge.

Once I replace the conductor I will post the result here. I saw temps well below zero when it was connected to the genset, but 0 seems to be the minimum now. I suspect the compressors are not running at full speed, but am guessing. If I had it to do again I might choose the AC compressor.

If your fridge is large then the factory 12 volt wire might be much too small. My compressors wouldn't even start connected to factory conductor.
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote