View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 07:43 PM   #17
Cushing872
Established Member

M.O.C. #24837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro68 View Post
Ok guys, I have a leaking/blown hydraulic hose for the slides. I have not gotten under it yet to take open the bottom to see which one it is and all of that, but has anyone replaced theirs? I will be replacing mine myself. As I am a disabled vet and just have to. Have you had them made or did you buy them Pre-made?
Thermoplastic hoses are used because they don’t deteriorate like a rubber hydraulic hose. It is a good hose for the application. If the hose is printed with 100R7 on it, there is a field attachable fitting that can be used to make a simple repair. They are okay as a permanent fix for landing gear on an RV but not a man lift. As an owner of a hose repair store, I can tell you that I have had seen or replaced several hoses on RV that have failed at the crimps. They all have appeared to be over crimped. If I have a failure on my rig, I will cut it back and put a field attachable fitting on to repair it and if need be, I’ll make a hose to make up the distance if it won’t reach. Changing the entire hose is just way too much unnecessary work and some manufacturers advise against it but recommend a repair. These hoses are routed and installed like the wiring and then everything else installed over them blocking them. Historically I have found them ziptied in many spots making it impossible to snake one out with a new one. I would stick with thermoplastic hose. In my rig, they have orange for pressure lines and black for returns. If you take an orange one to a shop and they tell you they don’t have the orange hose, tell them it don’t have to be orange and it can be black thermoplastic. In the hydraulic world, orange thermoplastic hose is nonconductive but that isn’t needed on an RV. They do it only for identification purposes. Man lifts working around electrical lines use orange nonconductive hoses. Some shops don’t stock the orange but have black. If you need field support or a hose, see if there is a PIRTEK in your area.
Cushing872 is offline   Reply With Quote