View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #16
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
I figured so but was going to balance load to prevent hitch load weight.
If you have the round taillights with the metal rings....they come right out and the wiring is right there to attach to. Then feed it down, remove the back strip holding the coroplast and wire away.

Just did it myself....but these guys are right. You're 250 or 300 lb hitch is not designed to pull anything. You'll be lucky if the constant bouncing doesn't break it off at the attachment points.

I just added a tow hitch and it took a serious amount of modifying, beefing up and welding to and on the old 300 lb utility receiver to get it to specs for towing 1400 lbs of a dual wheel motorcycle trailer that has dual receivers instead of a single ball hitch. The distance a single ball hitch has from the support brace is not going to have nearly enough strength to support the bouncing that it receives back there when you combine weight, pulling, bouncing and chucking all at the same time.

The difference between an accessory hitch receiver rated at 300 lbs and one that is actually capable of towing something is the attachment to the trailer.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote