View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 06:20 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've experienced 3 broken cables since we purchased our Montana, and as I'm writing this, I now have a 4th one broken. And we are 550 miles from home.

You can move the slides in and out with no negative effect on anything. BUT! Have one person push the button on the inside of the camper to retract, and have someone on the outside applying some pressure, pushing the slide back in on the broken cable side, and you'll have no problems.

When extracting again, there won't be any issues. Do this when retracting until you can get it serviced.

If your cable is frayed and in a spaghetti bowl condition, and that spaghetti bowl is at any of the pully's or at any of the holes in the walls, then pull the cable out, regardless of what the service shop said. That tangled wire will cause a bigger problem if you don't get it out of the way.

When installing a new cable, "they" like to attach the new cable to the old cable and then they can pull the old cable out, pulling the new cable in. Otherwise, they have to fish the new wire through the wall, over the pulleys and align the cable up. It does take more effort, yes. BUT, you need to do what's best for your camper NOW so nothing gets damaged further.

After taking mine to the shop on 3 broken cables, I've decided to replace this 4th one myself now. I know the broken cable slide will work just fine with some extra "push' from the outside, so I'm not worried about completing our current trip (we are 3 weeks from home and 1 more campground away). I ordered the replacement cable, the cutting tool, and the crimper off Amazon and they were delivered at home yesterday, waiting for me. If I would have used my head, I probably could have had Amazon deliver it to the campground I'm at and I could have had it fixed already (probably). Delivery was over night. I was surprised how fast it went. But, I'll now wait till I get home.

The first cable that broke sent horror shock waves through me. I called my local dealership back home and they told me the exact same thing they told you, with the advise to help push the slide back in from the outside so the remaining 3 cables would have as much stress. But I freaked out, scared out of my mind. But the remainder of that trip was successful with no more issues. I just followed their advise.

The second break was not so traumatic. I was really mad it happened, but I didn't stress.

The third break, was the same cable as the first time. I was really dismayed, and disappointed. But not stress, just a ... oh crap! again! Why this cable? attitude.

Now the 4th one is, Oh well. I suppose it's time for them to all start popping now! This one, I'm doing myself! Order the parts, and if it's successful, I'll order a couple extra cable kits and keep them in the camper with the cutter and crimper. And hope I never, ever, have to use them.

Hope all this helps! Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote