Thread: Death Wobble
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #44
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Anybody know if Ford has corrected this problem on the newer 2021's?
I've never had it on my 2018 which now has just over 75,000 miles on all original steering and suspension components. I did get a letter from Ford extending the warranty on the stabilizer.

That being said I have heard of newer trucks doing it.

Its my understanding that if the alignment is right, all the components are tight, and it has a good stabilizer it won't do it. Even motorcycles are known for doing it. I think it's a phenomenon that has to be kept from "feeding itself". I know straight axle 4x4 trucks don't have a whole lot of positive caster which is what helps keep the steering straight at speed.

Quote:
The caster angle on a car.
In the automotive field, negative caster gives no feedback to the driver in terms of wheel position. It is also the type of caster that is used on a shopping trolley (or hospital beds, office chairs…) and is the reason why wheels can wobble and turn easily. (The real caster is zero because the wheel patch is simply offset from the vertical and there is no relative angle between the steering axis and vertical, but we can compare this example to a wheel with negative camber for the position of the pivot).

Disadvantages of a negative caster angle.
A further disadvantage of negative caster is that it will increase under braking conditions making the steering more unstable (the so called “caster flutter”) due to the car pitching forward.

The only notable advantage to having negative caster is that the steering input effort required is very low making the steering very easy to turn.
https://www.presticebdt.com/caster-a...on-a-race-car/

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote