View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Hi, John ...

My position on the matter is based largely on a statement made by Bob Nichols, senior spokesman for MTO, and quoted in the Toronto Star on July 9, 2005, pg. G.01. Though there are lots of folks who think the law is ridiculous, I have yet to find anyone in a responsible position who claims that Mr. Nichols' comments are incorrect. The statement:

"'Ontario's licensing system is categorized according to vehicle weight, towed weights and combined weights of both the vehicles towing and being towed, regardless of the operator's use (commercial or recreational),' said Bob Nichols, senior spokesman for MTO, in a statement.

'MTO is not considering any changes to its policy at this time.'

He said drivers of RV trailers over 4,600 kilograms are required to have a Class A license. To get the license, the driver must submit a satisfactory medical report, pass a vision test and a Class A knowledge test. They must also pass a road test (an RV trailer can be used in this road test)."

While not disputing what you say about the interpretation of the law according to an MTO enforcement official (I have heard all sorts of varying interpretations of the law used by people to rationalize NOT acquiring the Class A license), I choose to follow the law as stated by Mr. Nichols. My Montana 3400 weighs considerably more than 4,600 kilos. Ergo, the law requires that I go through the exercise of acquiring my Class A license. Seemed pretty simple and straightforward to me at the time ... still does. And, contrary to the views of some, I actually did learn a few things along the way.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote