View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #41
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinstax View Post
I’m no engineer, but common sense says extra stress is virtually non-existent. If you look at the "funnel", when the ball is seated in the funnel it is on same level as the kingpin if it were locked into a regular fifth wheel hitch

I'm a structural engineer, and there's a lot more to it. The funnel is generally installed in the forward position to work better for short bed turning/cab clearances. This extension adds stress to the frame. Now consider dynamic loads during traveling (i.e. braking, accelerating, hitting bumps in road, etc.). I don't think I've read of the frame failing as much as the sidewalls breaking at the front slideouts. That's not directly a frame problem, but more of a detailing issue between the two interacting with one another (think stiffness of sidewall compared to the more flexible frame). I've stated it multiple times that Keystone/Lippert could easily spec deeper tube sections in the overhang that run inside the walls. They already stick up in the bedroom now, what's another couple inches to curb excessive deflection/flex? Whatever they are doing in the aluminum walls clearly isn't working. I'm referring to the new higher slide base height they introduced in the 2020 models in the front bedroom slide with the bed in it.