View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #19
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Well said and agree with all of it, thanks!

I do agree with others that seeing "thanks" or "thumbs up" types of reactions to individual posts is where extra value could potentially be added.
Currently handling thanks is often a mix of:
-say thanks privately
-add another post just to say thanks, to a thread that may already be long especially if several people all want to say thanks for the same thing
-say nothing because even though you are thankful there have already been several people who already said it as above

Brad
Brad, this is all spot on, and mostly where my thought process is as well. 2 things, the adding a post to a lengthy post in some ways muddies it up all well, especially if it's long, and the second is not saying something because those before you already did. That doesn't let the poster of the solution, let them know that you appreciated their input into the forum.

I think that liking and thanking people fulfills an innate human desire in all of us. We all want to know that we're appreciated. If we have the worlds best solutions, but no one is ever acknowledging them, your enthusiasm to be helpful can diminish quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

My pet peeve on these forums is the original poster's NEVER come back and say what their solution was, or even if their problem was actually fixed. Why don't people who start threads ever come back and state how their problem was fixed? so this type of acknowledgment goes a long way. It lets people know they do not need to make additional responses.
And by the way CADman_KS, thank-you for letting me vent about no closure responses from the original poster, instead of a thread just simply drifting off to the nether-land.
I do agree with you that it is frustrating when people don't come back and report, but I have noticed this behavior in about every forum I've been on, that OP's have great intentions, but they often don't follow thru.

I'm on another forum that I don't frequent all that often, but I told the community that I would write a report on how I fixed something. Life got busy, and I forget, and then almost 2 years later, I received a note from that post about what the solution was. I quickly apologized, and put up the solution. Shame on me, and I try not to do that.

As for the thanks thing, as I think about it more, in my mind, there are 2 kinds of thanks: likes and thanks. I can like something, and that signifies that I'm in support of that, as a solution, as good post, as whatever. But there is also thanks, and that denotes more of a "thank you for posting, and you're a good netizen". I can respect not doing the FB thing, and that's fine, but this is really one of the things that I personally think drives, and makes FB the platform that it is.

BTW, no worries on venting in the post. As an example, I could "like" that post from you. I don't have to thank you for that post. And, by my liking that post, it's a quick communique between you and I that I'm OK with you venting on the post? Does that make sense???